On 2009-10-20 R A Brown wrote:
>> On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 16:05:10 +0200, Benct Philip
> Jonsson wrote:
>>> Preserving a reasonably Latin-like spelling of Latinate
>>> words and finding a suitable diacritic to indicate that |g|
>>> is *not* palatalized before a front vowel is indeed a
>>> delicate problem!
>
> Yes, if you insist on a diacritic. The Romance languages are
> quite happy with diacritics on vowels - some happier than
> others - but diacritics on consonants are rather more sparing.

Indeed.  In the western Romance languages there are only ñ and
ç, and the latter isn't even an instance of a diacritic,
istorically speaking.  Rumanian adds ş and ţ, where the diacritic
isn't properly a cedilla either.

Rhodrese uses ç quite liberally, and uses a misnomer just
as the OTL Romnatlangs, namely _c eunciniade_ 'hooked c'
(*UNCINATA), which of course may have been _z eunciniade_
originally!

> The actual Romance langs *here* use AFAIK one of two solutions:
>  - |gu| = /g/ before front vowels (French, Spanish,
> Portuguese);
 > - |gh| = /g/ before front vowels (Italian,
> Romanian)
>
> I notice Rhodrese uses the second method.

Yes.  This is for several reasons apart from my
aesthetic preference:

1) /kw/ and /gw/ occur with some frequency in the language,
2) there are the vowel digraphs |ua ue uo| which also are
    quite frequent,
3) The morphological process of umlaut/_metafoníe_ causes
    front vowels and back vowels to alternate with each other
    on a regular basis, and an alternation between _c_ and _ch_
    in forms of the same word seems less disturbing than an
    alternation between _c_ and _qu_ (pace Spanish, but there
    the alternation does at least not occur word initially).

Still as I said yesterday /gwe/ must be spelled |guë| to
distinguish it from /g2/.  However the example I gave
yesterday _**guef_ 'bollocks' is no longer a valid example;
I forgot that I'd changed the rules for how a Vulgar Latin
*/B/ which ends up finally is treated: I've decided that it
becomes */w/ rather than */v/ > /f/, so 'egg' now is _huau_
/waw/ in the singular and _hieu_ /j2/ in the plural:

     waw < wOw < O:w < O:Bu
     j2 [H9] < H9H < wOwi < O:Bi < O:B@j < O:B@z < O:Bos

Thus it ends up seemingly parallel to _Grieur_ /gRj24/
GREGORIUS, _rieu_ RIVUS and _Jurieu_ JUDAEUS, which
however arrived at their forms through different paths:

     gRj94 < gri.2H4 < gre.owj4 < gre.o:4_j < greGo:4ju

     Rj9 < ri9H < riEw < ri@w < riw < ri.u < riBu

     dZU4j9 < dZU4i9H < dZU4iEw < dZU4i@w < dZU4iw < dZu4i.u < dZude.u

Words in _ua_ normally have plurals in _ie_, so the spelling
of _huau--hieu_ is deceptively regular though the phonetics are
different.  _Rieu, Jurieu_ are singulars with the plurals
_rí, Jurí_ (though historically _rí_ was formed by analogy
with _eurí_ < AUREOS).

NB that _eu_ normally is /y/; the trigraph _ieu_ is subject to
a special rule.

/BP 8^)>
  "C'est en vain que nos Josués littéraires crient
  à la langue de s'arrêter; les langues ni le soleil
  ne s'arrêtent plus. Le jour où elles se *fixent*,
  c'est qu'elles meurent."           (Victor Hugo)