--- On Tue, 10/20/09, Alex Fink <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Eric Christopherson <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
>
> >On Oct 20, 2009, at 2:22 AM, Njenfalgar wrote:
> >> each stressed syllable gets high or low tone
> >> (unstressed
> >> syllables remain neutral) depending on whether the
> consonant before is
> >> voiceless resp. voiced.
> >
> >Sorry to nitpick, but "respectively" isn't used that
> way in English (I
> >assume you to mean "or" or "versus"), and AFAIK when it
> is used it
> >isn't abbreviated. I wouldn't comment on it except that
> it can be very
> >hard for non-German-speaking people to guess what it
> means.

It may not be _spoken_ English usage, but it's certainly common in academic writing (including my own, both real and conlang-oriented).

> (I
> wonder if this feature
> of mathematical writing came about through translations
> from German.)

That could well be true; in my case, I suspect it came from reading lots of papers, either in translation or originally written in English, by foreigners, especially the Dutch, who seem fond of the word.

> Maybe I'm biased the other direction, but it would be a
> little surprising to
> me if Njenfalgar's sentence tripped a native English
> speaker up.

Nope :-))))