--- On Thu, 10/15/09, R A Brown <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Not so the Latin ones - they definitely relate to the
> proximity or otherwise (either in time or space) from
> speaker/writer and listener/reader. So, for example:
> haec patria = this country of ours
> haec uita = this present life
> haec omnia = everything around me
>
> cur ista quaeris? = Why do you put those questions of
> yours?
> opinio ista = that belief of yours
> Gaius iste = that Gaius of yours, i.e. your friend Gaius
>
> In the language of law courts, _hic_ is often used to mean
> "my client", while _iste_ means "the guy you're defending".
> i.e. my opponent.

Perhaps comparable to these usages--- as you probably know, if you've mentioned two things A and B, and want to refer back to them as "the former...the latter", you use the pronoun forms _éste/a_ 'this one' and _aquél/aquella_ 'that one(away)--

ex.  "...Juan....y María...., ésta... ('the latter' nearest, most recently mentioned = María).....aquél... ('the former', farther away, = Juan)

I believe the usual order is 'nearest mention...farther mention" (the construction is rare in speech, mostly literary, in my experience) whereas in English we can refer to them in either way.

ObConlang: I think I used the Span. system in Kash, but would have to check....