2009/10/21 Roger Mills <[log in to unmask]>

> --- On Tue, 10/20/09, Alex Fink <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> > Eric Christopherson <[log in to unmask]>
> > wrote:

> > consonant before is
> > >
> > >Sorry to nitpick, but "respectively" isn't used that
> > way in English (I
> > >assume you to mean "or" or "versus"), and AFAIK when it
> > is used it
> > >isn't abbreviated. I wouldn't comment on it except that
> > it can be very
> > >hard for non-German-speaking people to guess what it
> > means.
>
> It may not be _spoken_ English usage, but it's certainly common in academic
> writing (including my own, both real and conlang-oriented).
>
> > (I
> > wonder if this feature
> > of mathematical writing came about through translations
> > from German.)
>
> That could well be true; in my case, I suspect it came from reading lots of
> papers, either in translation or originally written in English, by
> foreigners, especially the Dutch, who seem fond of the word.

Actually, I cannot remember having encountered this word in Dutch (my native
language) before encountering it in English written by Anglophones who knew
what they were doing. So I'm a bit surprised I ended up learning it wrong.
Maybe I've been reading too many mathematical papers written by foreigners
of late...

But I suppose it's clear by now what I meant...

2009/10/21 Garth Wallace <[log in to unmask]>

> On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 7:47 PM, Eric Christopherson <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
> > On Oct 20, 2009, at 2:22 AM, Njenfalgar wrote:
> >>
> >> Then stress changes place and becomes predictable.
> >> If the stress ends up on another syllable, the tone becomes the opposite
> >> one. In this way, tone becomes unpredictable. For example: "planet" is
> >> /noko"non_L/, short for /xisenoko"non_L si"Zon_L/, originally
> >> /"xi(_H)senokonon "si(_H)Zon/. For Troilgulm I am wondering if I would
> not
> >> make it into a register language at some point...
> >
> > I think it is a register tone language -- one where the tones do not
> rise,
> > fall, etc. If they did, it would be a contour tone language.
>
> I think he means a language where tone and phonation are paired (e.g.
> low tone = creaky voice, high tone = breathy voice).

Indeed. I had not realized up to now that the word "register" is actually
used in two ways: pitch without contour, or phonation. The first lang I
speak about above is of the first type (high and low tone), Troilgulm may
one day turn into the second type (different types of phonation without
relevant tone).

Greets
David

--
Raash te feegatpin: nuukazet nhamaru'eng, shayip bŁngnetuk seepiit.