On Wed, 2009-10-28 at 12:12 -0700, Adam Walker wrote:

> Does this mean that Cyrenaica was Latin-speaking?  I have been trying to decide what language is spoken in Chirinaga in my C-an timeline, but still haven't done enough research to even know what language was current there during Roman days.  I had been leaning toward some kind of Greek derivative or Copto-Greek creole, but with this info, maybe I'm looking at a sister lang to C-a.  Of course Arabic could just take rook and give Maltese a sister.

No, Greek: the main cities (the Pentapolis) were old Greek colonies. Of
course, the country people would have their own language, related to
Berber. Even in the West, the countryside was largely Berber (which is
why it's survived) and the towns bilingual in Latin and Punic.I seem to
remember that Augustine had an aunt who didn't speak Latin.