David McCann wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-10-28 at 12:12 -0700, Adam Walker wrote:
>
>> Does this mean that Cyrenaica was Latin-speaking?  I have been trying to decide what language is spoken in Chirinaga in my C-an timeline, but still haven't done enough research to even know what language was current there during Roman days.  I had been leaning toward some kind of Greek derivative or Copto-Greek creole, but with this info, maybe I'm looking at a sister lang to C-a.  Of course Arabic could just take rook and give Maltese a sister.
>
> No, Greek: the main cities (the Pentapolis) were old Greek colonies.

Yes, I had meant to reply to this sooner - certainly Greek.
My earlier email was just giving a generalized picture.
Greek colonies remained Greek speaking under the Roman
Empire. Indeed, Greek remained firmly entrenched in southern
Italy, only gradually giving way to Italian over the
centuries. There were still Greek speaking villages in
Calabria and Puglia well into the 20th cent and, hopefully,
still survives.

> Of
> course, the country people would have their own language, related to
> Berber. Even in the West, the countryside was largely Berber (which is
> why it's survived)

Yes, Latin was very much the language of towns rather than
the countryside - it was mainly in central & northern Italy,
Gaul and the Iberian peninsula were it took root in he
countryside as well. And, of course, we have the Latin
survival, Romanian, in the Balkans.
--
Ray