Elliott Lash wrote:
> Yes, I suppose that was my point, but I guess I should
> have said it more clearly :)
>
> Also, I was surprised to see that Scottish Gaelic was
> down in WALS as verb-inflecting for yes/no
> questions...while the system is essentially the same as
> Irish (and Welsh): there is a particle that lenites the
> verb and then may or may not be dropped..

...which is exactly the same as in Welsh. In formal, written
language the particle is there, but in the spoken language
it's normally omitted, leaving just initial lenition of the
verb.

It struck me also as somewhat inconsistent of WALS to put
Scots Gaelic in one category and Welsh in another. Nor do I
think lenition is properly described as "verb-inflecting."

--
Ray