--- In [log in to unmask], Eldin Raigmore <eldin_raigmore@...> wrote:

> The "we hold these truths to be self-evident" part is the preamble?
> I thought the "when in the course of human events" part was the preamble.  It
> comes first, anyway.
>
> Actually, I never heard the D of I being referred to as having a preamble.
> I'd always heard "preamble" applied to the beginning paragraph/sentence of
> the Constitution; "We the people of the united States, in order to ...".

From the Wikipedia article on the DoI:

"The first sentence of the Declaration asserts as a matter of Natural law the ability of a people to assume political independence, and acknowledges that the grounds for such independence must be reasonable, and therefore explicable, and ought to be explained.

"When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

"The next section, the famous preamble, includes the ideas and ideals that were principles of the Declaration. It is also an assertion of what is known as the "right of revolution": that is, people have certain rights, and when a government violates these rights, the people have the right to "alter or abolish" that government.[71]

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness...."

I did't know that was the preamble to the DoI.

Charlie