On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 2:33 AM, Seo Sanghyeon <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> 2009/10/30 Mark J. Reed <[log in to unmask]>:
>> The podcast "The Thomas Jefferson Hour" is soliciting translations of
>> the preamble of the US Declaration of Independence into as many
>> languages as possible.  Klingon's apparently already been submitted.
>> Probably E-o has as well.
>
> Didn't George Orwell make a Newspeak translation? I think those 35
> words translated to a single word, thoughtcrime.

From the Appendix to 1984:

When Oldspeak had been once and for all superseded, the last link with
the past would have been severed. History had already been rewritten,
but fragments of the literature of the past survived here and there,
imperfectly censored, and so long as one retained one's knowledge of
Oldspeak it was possible to read them. In the future such fragments,
even if they chanced to survive, would be unintelligible and
untranslatable. It was impossible to translate any passage of Oldspeak
into Newspeak unless it either referred to some technical process or
some very simple everyday action, or was already orthodox(goodthinkful
would be the Newspeak expression) in tendency. In practice this meant
that no book written before approximately 1960 could be translated as
a whole. Pre-revolutionary literature could only be subjected to
ideological translation -- that is, alteration in sense as well as
language. Take for example the well-known passage from the
_Declaration of Independence_:

    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created
equal, that they are endowed by their creator with certain inalienable
rights, that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of
happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted
among men, deriving their powers from the consent of the governed.
That whenever any form of Government becomes destructive of those
ends, it is the right of the People to alter or abolish it, and to
institute new Government. . .

It would have been quite impossible to render this into Newspeak while
keeping to the sense of the original. The nearest one could come to
doing so would be to swallow the whole passage up in the single word
_crimethink_. A full translation could only be an ideological
translation, whereby Jefferson's words would be changed into a
panegyric on absolute government.

--
Andreas Johansson