--- In [log in to unmask], kate rhodes <masukomi@...> wrote:

> > "Unalienable" was a new word that ended up translating into ungivable
> > (wokinevi) because while life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness
> > can arguably all be taken away from you, and you can choose not to
> > pursue them, you can't really give any of them away. You can end your
> > life to save another's but they had one to begin with and if you gave
> > them theirs they "would have two which is only arguable in the abstract. "

Let's argue! :-)  Prescinding from the "rights" aspect of the DoI, it seems obvious to me that the expressions "give live" and "take life" are metaphorical.  We're not talking about putting life into a bag and handing it to someone or taking it from someone.

These expressions are used frequently in English:

John Smith took his life last night.
Please don't take my life!

My parents have given me life.
He gave his life for his country. (You use "end"; I use "give")

"...if you gave them theirs they 'would have two which is only arguable in the abstract'" sounds to me like life is a tangible object that can be handed over in a bag or box.

Charlie