--- On Thu, 10/29/09, David McCann <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Adam Walker wrote:
>
> > Does this mean that Cyrenaica was
> Latin-speaking?

<snip>

> No, Greek: the main cities (the Pentapolis) were old Greek
> colonies. Of
> course, the country people would have their own language,
> related to
> Berber. Even in the West, the countryside was largely
> Berber (which is
> why it's survived) and the towns bilingual in Latin and
> Punic.I seem to
> remember that Augustine had an aunt who didn't speak
> Latin.

Actually, I believe it was a cousin he was complaining about not knowing Latin, but I could be wrong. Yes, I'm pretty well aware of what the situation was in Africa Proconsularis since that is the setting for C-a, but Cyrenaica was an area I'd never gtotten around to working on.

After posting yesterday, I did a brief search and found what you indicated -- that the five cities were Greek colonies whose populations were reinforced with Greek-speaking immigrants from Egypt (but apparently not Copts!).  I couldn't find any references to the language(s) of inscriptions found in the area, but I'm supposing that they would be Greek (with some in Latin?)  I saw also that both patriarchs of Alexandria claim the Pentapolis in their domains.

So, at this point, it looks like Chirinaga should be speaking a Greek-lang.
Which would mean that C-an North Africa is much mor diverse linguistically than here.  Egypt speaks Modern Coptic.  Chirinaga speaks a deviant version of Greek.  Carraxa speaks Carrajina.  And Magrrivia speaks Riff.  Then to the south there is the nomadic realm of the Tuareg who speak Amazight.  of course other berber langs survive and there are Jewish langs and Gypsie langs and pockets of immigrants.

Adam