Garth Wallace skrev:
> On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 9:12 PM, Daniel Bowman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>> For example, Samadurian actually comes
>>> from mangling "cellar door",
>> Is that a hidden reference to Tolkien? ;-)
>
> Yes indeed! That's the only relation, though; the milieu it's intended
> for is very un-Tolkeinesque.

MERCURII DIES 'Wednesday' used to be _melcordí_
in Rhodrese, which of course was an oblique reference
to Tolkien (and one which Tolkien would perhaps
not have liked very much!).  In the current version
of the lang the form is _meocordí_, and thus not
that obvious anymore, if you aren't aware of the
change of non-prevocalic /l/ to /w/.

I used to be better at coming up with language
names out of thin air, although I'm generally
bad at coming up with words out of thin air.

Of the languages which I don't consider totally
abandoned _Sohlob_ used to be _Sahlab_ and before
that _Sahrab_.  The first change was because
I wanted the name to contain the voiceless
lateral fricative and the second was because
_sahlab_ is a Middle-eastern beverage which
drowned out my lang in the search engines!
The name originally didn't mean anything,
but soon was retrofitted to mean "language
of the Sea/Lake", _sohl_ coming to mean 'sea'
and 'lake' in the lang.

_Mærik_ also started out as a nonsense word
but was retrofitted to be the first person
plural exclusive possessive pronoun of the
language -- speakers of another language
misanalysed the phrase "Our Language"!

_Knoschke_ is a compound meaning 'language of forest
dwellers', or rather derives from a word which meant
that in the ancestral language; synchronically
speakers can't analyse _knas-_ /knQS/ as anything
but a root word, which is their ethnonym.

_Slvanjek_ derives from SILVANICUM -- thus also
'forest language', but was also designed to be
similar to _slovenčina_, Slovak for 'slovak'.

_Rhodrese_ started out as "Romlang 3"!  When I
decided that it was spoken in south-eastern
Gaul I needed only decide what RHODANENSIS
'Rhônish' would be in the language.  Currently
I have grave problems with D'N becoming /dR/,
since by the current phonology it ought to
become /4n/!

(Is it plausible that the language at one point
had /D/ but this became /4/?)

/BP 8^)>
  "C'est en vain que nos Josués littéraires crient
  à la langue de s'arrêter; les langues ni le soleil
  ne s'arrêtent plus. Le jour où elles se *fixent*,
  c'est qu'elles meurent."           (Victor Hugo)