2009/10/29 Eldin Raigmore <[log in to unmask]>

> I get
>
> |Microsoft Internet Explorer is not a browser usable with XLFG5
> |Thanks to use a recent version of Firefox
>
> I'm thinking the programmer's (or, at least, the error-message writer's) L1
> wasn't English.

Well, the man is called Lionel Clément, is an Assistant Professor in
Bordeaux University (France), and his e-mail address ends in .fr. I think
it's a fair guess ;) .

Indeed, those two lines above sound like a near literal translation from
French, with the typical mistakes French people tend to make when they
attempt to write in English.

As for the "Thanks to", "Merci de" followed by an infinitive is a relatively
common, if formal and polite, Written French expression meaning "Please +
imperative". I guess the French sentence would have been:
"Merci d'utiliser une version récente de Firefox"
which is perfectly correct and the way I would expect such a message to be
written.
--
Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets.

http://www.christophoronomicon.nl/