It's quite common for this kind of marker to gravitate to the second
position of the sentence:

* In Tohono O'odham (Uto-Aztecan), the auxiliary element which contains
subject person/number and sentential aspect is a second position element.

* In Shoshoni (also Uto-Aztecan) the question particle (_ha_), negation
(_kai_), and various adverbials are found in the second position as well.

* In German, the tensed verb is a second position element in main clauses.

* Classical Greek also had a number of particles that occurred in the second
position.

So to find it in Algonkian languages is not too surprising. And Brett is
right; it's not really about counting--it just follows the first clausal
constituent.