On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 4:34 PM, Mark J. Reed <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 10:13 AM, Eldin Raigmore
> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> Now I know that the U.S.A.'s initials in Greek are ΗΠΑ,
>
> NPA?

No: IPA: Ηνωμένες Πολιτείες της Αμερικής

>>and that the Greek name for the Pacific Ocean is "the Irenic Ocean".
>
> Ah, but what's the Atlantic? :)

Ατλαντικός Ωκεανός

Less picturesque, granted.

Wikipedia is a marvelous tool tout court, but it is also great for
translations if you want to find the exact phrase. Another good one is
IATE (InterActive Terminology for Europe <http://iate.europa.eu/>),
which gives you the words in the context where they have been used in
official EU documents and in some other sources, whose reliability is
indicated by stars, as for restaurants in the Michelin guide :-)

Best

Claude

--
The Education Technology and Change journal
http://etcjournal.wordpress.com/ now tweets its posts and comments in