--- On Mon, 11/9/09, Jim Henry <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> 2009/11/9 Philip Newton <[log in to unmask]>:
> ... using a double
> letter to
> > indicate a plural - something I don't think I've ever
> seen anywhere
> > else.
>
> There are abbreviations "pp." for "pages", "ll." for
> "lines", and
> "vv." for "verses" used in English bibliographic references
> sometimes.
>  I think they're less common than they used to be,
> perhaps.

Back in the 50s, I recall a friend's Catholic literature had such things as SS 'saints' e.g. SS Peter and Paul, VV virgins, VV MM virgin martyrs.

ObColang: in Kash, the USA would be, I think, acumbesa hutunuÁ amerikayi 'union (of) provinces America-gen.', possibly abbreviated cumb.hu.am ("mb" is a single letter in Kash script)