He was a lovely gentleman. Back in the 70s, I sat in on his course on Caucasian languages, and it was a tour-de-force to hear him pronounce some of those words!!

--- On Mon, 11/9/09, Mark J. Reed <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> :(  If you can find any recordings of
> his spontaneous backward speech, it's quite impressive.

I don't recall ever hearing him do that, even tho we had a deparmental fun-fest one afternoon where people tried to do it. John Lawler took the prize, with a very fast backwards Humpty-Dumpty, which he apparently knew by heart :-)))))

I managed to produce [...aSt'namaled'4agulnune] but Spanish is easy...