On Nov 4, 2009, at 1:53 PM, Philip Newton wrote:

> 2009/11/4 Roger Mills <[log in to unmask]>:
>> Since "bau da" and Gwr names like _ming_ [miN] (would be "miń" in
>> native
>> Kash script) are anomalous, I used a hyphen before the case endings--
>> _ri bau da-e_ 'to bau da', ming-in 'acc.' I think that would be
>> what Kash
>> writers would do with non-assimilated foreign words, assuming some
>> way could
>> be found to write non-native sounds*.
>
> That's a bit like Turkish's use of the apostrophe for case endings
> after proper nouns (not just foreign ones), e.g. _Ankara'da_ "in
> Ankara", _Cengiz'i_ "Cengiz.ACC".

Finnish (and, I just learned, Swedish) use a colon for this. There was
a member of a programming mailing list I used to be on who would use a
colon at the end of a programming language keyword or label, if he had
to inflect it for some reason (e.g. pluralize it or use it as a verb
in the past tense). I like that.