> Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 15:00:55 +0100
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: CHAT: "USA" in other languages (was Re: OT: need help from an L1-Greek-speaker)
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
> 2009/11/11 Eldin Raigmore <[log in to unmask]>
>

> > los Estados Unidos de América (EE.UU.)
> > also
> > les États-Unis d'Amérique (E.U.A.?)
> >

> No, the French never use that abbreviation as far as I know (it might be
> different in other French-speaking countries). "Les États-Unis d'Amérique"
> are most commonly called "Les États-Unis" or "l'Amérique", and as far as I
> know, if an abbreviation is used at all, it's always "Les U.S.A.", naturally
> pronounced in a French manner: /lɛzy.ɛˈsa/.

I've seen "É.-U." and "É-U" (though never "É-U-A" or the like). The Former is used by the Bank of Canada who gives his "Sommaire, Taux de clôture $ É.-U./$ CAN" (_Summary, Closing Rate %US/$CAN_), it is also used on the French version of www.america.gov; the latter is regularily used on the French news website www.agoravox.fr .

The two seem to used ad libitum on www.tc.gc.ca , Transport Canada's website, sometimes both on the same page.

However, "USA" [yEsA] / [yEsa] is much more common. Here, in speech, "les États-Unis d'Amérique" is also sometimes shortened to "les États", probably under the influence of "the States" in English.

Maxime

Ouverture de Messenger sur le nouveau MSN = plus rapide!
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9677415