2009/11/11 Eldin Raigmore <[log in to unmask]>

> What "abbreviations" for the USA in natlangs or conlangs do people know
> about similar to "Soweto" for "southwest townships", or "Soho" for "south
> of
> Houston street", or "Tanakh" for "Torah, Nevi'im and Ketuvim" ("the Law and
> the Prophets and the Writings")?

米国: beikoku, which I mentioned before, is such a case. It's quite common in
Japanese to reduce long lists of kanji representing 1 concept into two or
three of their main kanji, as a form of abbreviation. The abbreviation is
pronounced using a pronunciation of each kanji (not necessarily the one used
in the long version).

> And what do you call such things anyway?  If the writing-system were a
> syllabary you could still call them "acronyms", but what if it isn't? or if
> there
> isn't a writing-system?

Good question. I've seen the term "acronym" used for things like "Benelux",
not only for abbreviations using only the first letter of each word and
pronounced as one word. I don't know whether a language without a writing
system would use such creations at all (they seem to originate from the
written language, like other acronyms do).

> How about the way the names "alphabet" and "futhark" and "bopomofo" were
> derived.

I've never seen a name for that phenomenon, despite it being quite
widespread. In Dutch, the most well known example is _'t kofschip_, which
represents all the letters after which the past tense and past participle
are written with a _t_ rather than a _d_.
--
Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets.

http://www.christophoronomicon.nl/