On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 1:40 PM, <deinx nxtxr> <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> Wesley Parish wrote:
>
>> FWIW, a book I have somewhere on the mechanics of learning second
>> languages mentions total immersion (at a language lab, headphones on, and no
>> breaks) for about eight hours - on top of listening to recordings, working
>> through encounters, etc.  I've thought it would be an excellent way to learn
>> it myself - I "immersed" myself in both Spanish and Portuguese (TY books
>> with the cassettes) in 1988, and I still haven't forgotten either.
>>

> I've been attempting to immerse in Spanish, but it's difficult where I am.
>  First of all there's work where it's not going to get me anywhere (though
> Portuguese may be of some use).  I have done little things that help like
> switching all my electronic devices to Spanish where possible.  My phone,
> GPS, and Facebook page are all on Spanish now.
>
> BTW: I'm trying to find a Latin American package for my Garmin.  It only
> does European Spanish for some reason.

In general, I find the Hugo "XXXXX in Three Months" series to be effective.
They have lots of exercises with answers, usually. They're not for the "once
over lightly" approach, though.

Dana, you might even find Brazilian Portuguese a bit easier than Spanish,
surprisingly (especially the Sao Paulo accent). Portuguese has fewer
irregular verbs, and the phonology/orthography is a slightly closer match to
that of English.