On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 3:01 PM, Carsten Becker <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Besides, most people in Germany will inevitably switch to English when
> they notice you're not a German native speaker.

Right. Which is why pragmatically, I only need to know German for
situations where that doesn't happen (e.g. if they don't know English
[my last trip through Germany passed by smallish towns where nobody
seemed to], or for signs etc).

I've got no problem at all being outclassed by a German's English. I'm
sure it'll be better than any German I can learn between now and then.
:-P

- Sai