Roger Mills wrote:

>> I'd still like to know where this is.  I have yet to hear it
>> anywhere in the South, and this is the first reference I've
>> heard to it in the South.
>
> I should perhaps review the thread :-)) I thought someone had
> reported it from North Carolina; also from Canada-- anyway,
> places where the early Scots-Irish went (protestants).

If they did, I figure it must be a rarity.  FWIW there are a lot os
New Yorkers moving to the coastal areas of the South, not just S.
Florida.

>>> Specifically in NYC...(snip) (and
>> What few references I've ever seen or heard in the US have been
>> NYC,  and I have to say those have all been from TV or film.  I
>> really can't recall any Americans that I've personally spoken
>> with using it.
>
> Nor I, except that sergeant in 1956 (he would have been probably
> in his 30s, maybe early 40s). It's possible he was pulling a
> Jimmy Cagney tough-guy act on us, but who knows.

I can say I've even heard it in 60's or 70's films, but again it
wasn't very often and usually a way of indicating someone was
blue-collar.

> If "youse" was ever at all widespread in the Eastern cities, it's
> probably been educated out of existence by now (and/or laughed
> out of existence).

That's could very well be.

> This would have been an interesting/amusing topic for the late
> William Safire, or the "Language Hat" or "Language Log" sites
> (how does one submit a question?). It needs the input of people
> even older than me, or of researchers into American dialects. (Is
> there perchance a Wikipedia article on English usages? I don't
> often check there.)

There are quite a few articles there.  Even one on California
English though as a native of the area I can probably pick some of
it apart.