Sai Emrys wrote:
> So, looks like I'll need to know some. Right now, all I know is yes,
> no, thanks, you're welcome, and "I don't speak German". :-P
>
> TBH I'm not that interested in really learning German fully (I've done
> my fair share of L2s to last me a while, I think), but if there's
> something I can swallow in about a week that'd get me from zero to at
> least moderately communicating, I'd appreciate it.

German is the easiest natlang I've ever studied.  Learn Grimm's Laws
and you'll quickly be able to identify cognates. That will help a
lot with vocabulary. Learning the simple present and past of verbs
is fairly easy.  The the toughest for me has always been the case
inflections.

> Recommendations? Usually what I go for is linguisticy stuff that
> values long-term deep understanding over short-term usability, and I
> don't really know what's good quality on the other end of things.

For quick usuability without all that deep understanding, I've found
Berlitz' materials to be the best.