Peter Bleackley wrote:
> staving R A Brown:
>
>> An interesting question. In fact, having Roman as a small, fairly
>> insignificant town in Etruria, and with both the Imperial capital and
>> the Petrine See at Pella in the north part of Greece poses all sorts
>> of interesting questions, which I won't go into here - partly because
>> I do not think this is an appropriate form for such discussion, also I
>> haven't thought through all the implications myself.
>>
> Pella apparently means "Rock". I imagine that the Church would be quite
> happy with that.

I hadn't noticed that. I named Pella as the Imperial capital
simply because it was the capitol of Macedon and the
Hellenistic Empire of WHATL was essentially a Macedonian
Empire.

But the apparent meaning of "Pella" is certainly
interesting. The tensions over who was Christ's regent on
earth - Emperor or Pope/Patriarch - were played out *here*
rather differently in the western Latin Church & the eastern
Greek Church (this difference was one of the real causes of
the eventual schism) - but clearly in WHATL this tension
would be played out quite differently. I am sure that
"Pella" and "Peter" are apparently more or less synonymous
must have had some impact.

But, as I wrote: "I haven't thought through all the
implications myself."

--
Ray