Which part?  From what little I know, Argentinian and Chilean Spanish is
heavily Northern-Europeanized, though a lot of Italian words have also wound
up in Argentinian Spanish.  Bolivian and Paraguayan Spanish has absorbed a
lot of indigenous words, or so I've read.  And I think the same also applies
to Peruvian Spanish - at least outside the cities.

I'm not sure that it's ever been regarded as important enough to teach to
foreigners; though the TY Spanish book I used made comments on different
accents and words in the various regions of South America, it never really
specified them.

What I would suggest is buying various South American books and magazines - I
intend myself getting Jorge Louis Borges' Complete (or Collected) Works, but
I've been told they come to about NZ$100 or NZ$150 each, and there's more
than one volume, and under my current financial circumstances that will have
to wait.  (If I hadn't been introduced to Borges courtesy of Aldiss' comment
in Billion Year Spree about his acknowledging HG Wells as a major influence,
I would never have considered Spanish, or Portuguese ... but who can resist
the Dreamtiger?  Not me! :)

Wesley Parish

<[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> >> I've been attempting to immerse in Spanish, but it's difficult where I
> >> am. First of all there's work where it's not going to get me anywhere
> >> (though Portuguese may be of some use).  I have done little things that
> >> help like switching all my electronic devices to Spanish where possible.
> >>  My phone, GPS, and Facebook page are all on Spanish now.
> >>
> >> BTW: I'm trying to find a Latin American package for my Garmin.  It only
> >> does European Spanish for some reason.
> >
> > In general, I find the Hugo "XXXXX in Three Months" series to be
> > effective. They have lots of exercises with answers, usually. They're not
> > for the "once over lightly" approach, though.
> >
> > Dana, you might even find Brazilian Portuguese a bit easier than Spanish,
> > surprisingly (especially the Sao Paulo accent). Portuguese has fewer
> > irregular verbs, and the phonology/orthography is a slightly closer match
> > to that of English.
>
> I'm not learning it for its own sake.  I'm learning in because I'm
> considering a move to S. America.  Brazil isn't one of the places
> under consideration.

-----
George Kelischek - "To impress those high-tech computer types,
tell them what an Ocarina really is:
an animal-activated-solid-state-multi-frequency-sound-synthesizer."
-----
Mau e ki, he aha te mea nui?