FWIW, a book I have somewhere on the mechanics of learning second languages
mentions total immersion (at a language lab, headphones on, and no breaks)
for about eight hours - on top of listening to recordings, working through
encounters, etc.  I've thought it would be an excellent way to learn it
myself - I "immersed" myself in both Spanish and Portuguese (TY books with
the cassettes) in 1988, and I still haven't forgotten either.

YMMV

Wesley Parish

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009, Sai Emrys wrote:
> So, looks like I'll need to know some. Right now, all I know is yes,
> no, thanks, you're welcome, and "I don't speak German". :-P
>
> TBH I'm not that interested in really learning German fully (I've done
> my fair share of L2s to last me a while, I think), but if there's
> something I can swallow in about a week that'd get me from zero to at
> least moderately communicating, I'd appreciate it.
>
> Recommendations? Usually what I go for is linguisticy stuff that
> values long-term deep understanding over short-term usability, and I
> don't really know what's good quality on the other end of things.
>
> - Sai

-----
George Kelischek - "To impress those high-tech computer types,
tell them what an Ocarina really is:
an animal-activated-solid-state-multi-frequency-sound-synthesizer."
-----
Mau e ki, he aha te mea nui?