On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 23:38, Patrick Dunn <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> If you *really* just want to fake it, you could learn just the
> infinitive forms of verbs and try to speak your own patois, but I'm
> not sure how far that would get you, esp. in a language like German
> that encodes so much information in its grammar.

FWIW, speaking in infinitives is standard comic-book "Injun"-speak (or
"natives", for whichever country is under consideration). "Ich kommen
aus großes Haus, wollen sprechen mit weißes Mann". I'd say it's
understandable, though it sounds rather ludicrous :)

Incidentally, a speech pattern I've heard from a couple of *real*
(rather than stereotypical) foreigners a few times is verb-initial
declarative sentences (such as "Kann ich dich nicht verstehen."),
which sounds odd because that word order is only used in question
sentences; I imagine, though, that they are generalising from V2
sentences by omitting the initial word.

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 08:27, Mechthild Czapp <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I would suggest the Kauderwelsch-Sprachführer to German. These sort of language guides only teach enough grammar to get by and have vocabulary and example sentences for the most important situations.
>
> Of course, I never actually tried that one, seeing that German is my L1, but for other languages they are pretty neat.

Ditto this (on both counts - never tried it, but I think they're
really nifty for other languages).

And while most of them are "X language for speakers of German", there
are a few "German for speakers of X language" volumes.

Cheers,
Philip
--
Philip Newton <[log in to unmask]>