David McCann wrote:
> On Satn, 2009-11-14 at 18:01 +0000, Ray Brown wrote:
>
>> David McCann wrote:
>>  > It gets more mysterious. I've just checked the Modern
>> Greek, and it
>>  > turns out to be "soupa"!
>>
>> No mystery there - it's a borrowing from Romance.
>>
> The mystery is why the Greeks had to borrow a word from Latin.

They didn't have too, as ancient Greek had a perfectly good
words - zo:mós (ζωμός) which could be 'soup' or 'sauce';
zó:meuma (ζώμευμα) which is more specifically 'soup.'

Why they did so is part of a bigger mystery as to why Latin
_(h)ospitiu(m) ousted the perfectly good words oîkos (οἶκος)
and oikía (οἰκία) "house", and Latin _porta_ ousted AG
thyra: (θύρα) "door)",  etc.

As many say over here: "There's nowt so queer as folks"  ;)

> "Puls" (plural pultes) had slipped my mind, which is odd, since it's the
> basis of "pulta", the word for soup in my Liburnes. The word occurs in
> several writers, but with sense of referring to a very rustic,
> old-fashioned dish.

So it does. But there's nothing in Apicius' cook-book to
suggest either old-fashioned or rustic as far as I can see,
tho _pultes_ are certainly thick soups of the pottage type.
Possibly fashionable urbanites preferred something thinner
and more refined   ;)

Michael Poxon wrote:
 > Made out of pulses? Just a thought.

Not in the recipes of those given by Apicius. Three of his
recipes use soaked hulled spelt; another two are made by
crumbling pastry into boiled milk & water mix. All of them
have other additions, and none are 'vegetarian-friendly'.

--
Ray