On Nov 18, 2009, at 6◊39 PM, Kelvin Jackson wrote:

>> Ja byl student.
>> /I was student-NOM./
>> "I was a student."
>

> Sorry to be a nitpicker, but wouldn't that be
>
> Я был студентом
> Ja byl studyentom
> /ja.bi\l.stu'djentVm/
> I was student-INS
>
> with "student" in the Instrumental?

If it is, that's the first I've heard of it.  In my one semester of
Russian, we never got to the instrumental (I felt cheated).  And
looking back at my book, which I still have (Nachalo, the first
one), I see that in all the examples, byt' in the past tense is never
used with a predicate *nominal*, only with adjectives, prepositional
phrases and adverbial phrases.

I feel I've been fooled.  Oh well.  They say no one can be told what
the matrix is...

-David

-Jim Morrison

http://dedalvs.com/