>  s  S
> [snip]
> Codas:
>
> p b  t d     k g  ∅
>  m    n       N
>      l       5
>      ts  tS
>      s   S

This is actually *very* unusual: almost all languages have more onsets
than codas, and if they have segments that only occur in a coda (like
English /N/) they tend to have restricted distribution and/or fuzzy
phonemic status. You have a voice contrast and an entire nasal series
that only occurs in codas! This is far more surprising to me than
anything you mention below.

> Syllables (and here's where the notion of "syllable" gets a bit abstract,
> and the notion of "vowel" for that matter) can be "glottalized". What this
> means is that they may take an inserted /?/ (written with an apos'phe,
> alphabetically ordered after "y"). Syllables with short vowels may only take
> the /?/ between the onset and the vowel, where it is realized as ejectivity,
> for instance "p'âg" /p_>Ag/. Syllables with long vowels may take the /?/
> between the onset and the vowel ("p'ââg" /p_>A:g/) or "in the middle" of the
> vowel, where it is realised as a full glottal stop ("pâ'âg" /pA?Ag/).
> Similarly, syllables with diphthongs may take the /?/ between the onset and
> vowel ("p'âyg" /p_>Ajg/) or "in the middle" of the diphthong, in which case
> the /j/ becomes an /i/, and is likewise written "i" ("pâ'ig" /pA?ig/).

I like this, though I question what would make you analyze it this
way. Are there morphological or phonological processes that use
glottalization? If not, why wouldn't you just analyze /?/ as a segment
of its own? I also see why you want to avoid voiced stops in onset
positions--how would they handle glottalization? Of course, if /p'/
and /b/ are in complimentary position, I would be tempted to analyze
them as allophones.

> What I'm thinking of doing with this, is adding /h/ (and /_h/) as a second
> type of glottalization (written "h" and ordered between "g" and "i"). It
> occurred to me very recently that while I had the maintenance hatch open and
> my toolkit out, I could probably add something in the /X/ or /X\/ milieu to
> the mix as well -- though the only sensible remaining letter would be "r",
> ordered between "p" and "s".

Adding aspiration to the mix sounds good. Adding uvularization (is
that what you meant?) seems like overkill, but it's up to you of
course.

--
JS Bangs
http://jsbangs.wordpress.com

"Have you not seen the heaps of bones piled on each other, skulls stripped of
flesh, staring fearsome and horrible from empty eye-sockets? Have you seen the
grinning mouths and the rest of the limbs lying casually about? If you have seen
those things, then in them you have observed yourself." -St. Gregory of Nyssa