Kind of an odd one, but I have a question about the halant or
viram mark in Hindi's Davanagari orthography.  The mark is
a little line written below a character to negate its inherent
short "a" vowel.  The line isn't needed when two or more
characters are conjoined to form a conjunct character, but
otherwise...it should be, shouldn't it?  And yet, whenever I see
Hindi, I *never* see that mark *anywhere*.  Is there anyone
here who knows something about this?  Is that just an unnecessary
formalism like the short vowels in Arabic?

For those who can see the Unicode, I've given an example below:

मलमास = malmās "leap month"

How that "should" be pronounced: malamāsa

How the above "should" be written: मल्मास्

And again, just to be clear, I'm not trying to correct the spelling
of Hindi speakers: I'm just trying to understand what the status
of the viram mark is in modern Hindi.

-David

-Jim Morrison

http://dedalvs.com/