On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 11:16 PM, Gary Shannon <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I'm sure that explains it. My hypothesis was just an amateur's half-baked idea.
> But you have to admit, Klingon IS awfully "inhuman".  :-)

Not really.  It's got an odd combination of features (phonetic and
grammatical), but all of those features are individually found in
human languages.  It would almost certainly never arise as a natlang
on Earth, but it's clearly perfectly possible for humans to
communicate in it.  Shyriwook is an inhuman language, since humans
can't produce the necessary sounds; Fith is inhuman, since human
brains can't keep up with realistic mature conversation in it...
Klingon is unnatural, but not inhuman. :)

--
Mark J. Reed <[log in to unmask]>