Tony Harris wrote:
> I believe for keyboard creation you want to check out a package called
> Ukelele from SIL:
>
> http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=ukelele
>
> The US-Extended keyboard layout is by far the coolest Latin-script
> layout I've seen too, and is natively included with the Mac OS.
>
> Personally I use Ubuntu these days having gotten sick of Apple's (or
> maybe just Steve Jobs') "all your computing belongs to us" attitude. But
> that's not to say the Mac isn't overall a very cool system.
>
> Alas, though, my resistance to the Microsoft Empire is weakening because
> my work life is moving more and more in a Windows direction, so I may be
> pushing myself back there in general just to not have to deal with 2-3
> different platforms.

I'm accelerating my demicrosoftification project by doing this.  I
tried Ubuntu but I'm tired of fighting with buggy or non-existent
drivers, and the hassle of having to patch things all the time.  The
only reason I've steered clear of OSX is I hate being forced to use
Apple hardware to run it, especially at their high prices.  At this
point I figure I'll make the sacrifice to get something that's
stable.  I'm sure I'll always have one foot in the M$ world because
I work in IT, but for my own use, it's well on its way out the door.
  All I needed was to make sure I'm not losing any functionality by
switching, and worst case I can run Windless in a virtual machine
for those few programs where I have no other choice.  Having to
rework my keyboard drivers and other conlang-oriented stuff was one
thing holding me back.