<deinx nxtxr> wrote:
> Tony Harris wrote:
>> I believe for keyboard creation you want to check out a package called
>> Ukelele from SIL:
>>
>> http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=ukelele
>>
>> The US-Extended keyboard layout is by far the coolest Latin-script
>> layout I've seen too, and is natively included with the Mac OS.
>>
>> Personally I use Ubuntu these days having gotten sick of Apple's (or
>> maybe just Steve Jobs') "all your computing belongs to us" attitude.
>> But that's not to say the Mac isn't overall a very cool system.
>>
>> Alas, though, my resistance to the Microsoft Empire is weakening
>> because my work life is moving more and more in a Windows direction,
>> so I may be pushing myself back there in general just to not have to
>> deal with 2-3 different platforms.
>

> I'm accelerating my demicrosoftification project by doing this.  I tried
> Ubuntu but I'm tired of fighting with buggy or non-existent drivers, and
> the hassle of having to patch things all the time.  The only reason I've
> steered clear of OSX is I hate being forced to use Apple hardware to run
> it, especially at their high prices.  At this point I figure I'll make
> the sacrifice to get something that's stable.  I'm sure I'll always have
> one foot in the M$ world because I work in IT, but for my own use, it's
> well on its way out the door.  All I needed was to make sure I'm not
> losing any functionality by switching, and worst case I can run Windless
> in a virtual machine for those few programs where I have no other
> choice.  Having to rework my keyboard drivers and other conlang-oriented
> stuff was one thing holding me back.

Ubuntu has been pretty stable for me, although when I had a Dell
Inspiron 1100 laptop I admit getting the X-windows drivers working took
some work (worked out of the box on CentOS though).  Right now my
desktop and my current primary laptop (a Dell Mini-A9) are both Ubuntu.
  9.04 was quite good, 9.10 which is on the desktop is somewhat iffier.

I've been Microsoft free at home for a while in that sense, although I
recently set up a Windows 2003 server on a developer license in the
basement, and the Mac has always had Office on it.  But as I say, I'm
just getting tired of the switching back and forth, work migrated to
Exchange a couple years ago and it's a pain to get my email (Outlook Web
Access is a joke, and Evolution as an Exchange client dies more often
than it works).  And now with the migration to a Sharepoint-based
portal, and the need to learn development for it, I'm feeling like I
have better things to do with my time (like conlanging!) than
continually fight the Microsoft migration.  Not sure I'm ready to switch
back  yet, but certainly seriously considering it.  It does help that
Windows 7 doesn't suck as badly as Vista did, but then again nothing
since Windows Me has sucked as badly as Vista.