Tony Harris wrote:
> <deinx nxtxr> wrote:
>> I think you meant 8.04, which is what I have.  I tried different
>> varieties of it (Xubuntu, Mythbuntu, both x86 and AMD64 versions) and
>> I just never was quite satisfied with the result, and never could get
>> it to install on my current box.  I never even got to the point where
>> I could start working on getting it conlang ready.  My MythTV machine
>> worked fine except for no decent driver for my tuner, and the wireless
>> was always cutting off spontaneously.  It's sad that hardware vendors
>> don't pay more attention to the Linux section of the market by
>> creating reliable drivers.
>
> No, I really mean 9.04 (Jaunty Jackalope).  8.04 was good too, but 9.04
> added support for a number of things and made things more stable.  I
> have 8.04 on the desktop at work, and the Dell Mini-A9 came with 8.04,
> but I rebuilt that with 9.04 and it's been very good.  I upgraded the
> home desktop to 9.10 (Karmic Koala) and haven't been as happy, but from
> the news I've seen I'm hardly alone.

It's been a while since I checked so I didn't know there was another
  major revision out.

>> Believe it or not, I actually ran 2000 server up until about a year
>> and a half ago with hardly any trouble.  2003 never worked right
>> because some software detected "server" and refused to run.  Don't now
>> why it didn't under W2k.  I reluctantly went to XP when I bought new
>> hardware only because I could be sure of driver support.
>>
> I did notice that.  Mainly when I wanted to use AVG Free as the
> anti-virus on the server (of course with the Linux boxes I don't have to
> worry about anti-virus like you do with Microsoft's stuff).  ClamAV is
> okay on the W2K3 server, but does have a couple issues with false
> positives on Excel executables it seems.

I mainly used the server version because of it had better filesystem
security, and it was nice to be able to access Terminal Server to
use it remotely.   Believe it or not. I don't really use AV on any
of my computers except to run a quick scan of new downloads before I
use them.  Good computing practices keep me from getting malware so
that's never been an issue.  Realistically though the typical user
isn't knowledgeable enough to avoid viruses so it's not something
I'd recommend.  The main advantage of no AV is a huge increase in
performance.

>> I got off Outlook about a year ago.  I don't need Exchange at home.
>>  All my personal domains are hosted by GMail so I can use IMAP to get
>> to them.  As a result I switched to Thunderbird (didn't care for
>> Evolution), and can say I'm reasonably happy with it, especially when
>> I noticed my UTF-8 e-mails were no longer being mutilated.
> Yeah, Evolution is awful.  Thunderbird is my personal email client at
> this point, since I can use the same setup on Windows, Mac, and Linux,
> and sync the contacts, tasks, and calendar using SyncKolab.  I do use my
> gmail account for a second (well, actually the primary) calendar, though.

One reason I like TB is its cross-platform capabilities as well as
excellent IMAP support.  I can now read my e-mail from any of my
computers under any OS and still have a consistent UI. There is a
plugin, Provider for Goodge Calendar, for synching up the calendar
with GMail.  I also have something called gContactSync for synching
up my address book.