Personally, I love my Mac for conlanging, although I'm probably not
using it to its full potential. My conlang wouldn't have got off the
ground without OSX's character palette with characters I didn't even
know existed before (gotta love single-dot-a and Cherokee).
I'm sorry, but I don't know how to create custom keyboards (if you
find out, I'd love to know though) but I can tell you most of the
keyboard shortcuts for letters like ,  and , if that's any help...