2009/11/23 Peter Bleackley <[log in to unmask]>

> I have previously heard on this very list that Latin has to do this in this
> situation, as prepositional phrases can only be used as predicates, not as
> attributes. The Greek, I believe, simply says "Our Father in heaven", and
> the traditional English translation is based on the Vulgate, rather than the
> Greek.

Indeed. Actually, it's something I've often wondered. Modern European
languages seem to be quite free in allowing prepositional phrases as
attributes, but I've always wondered whether that freedom was common across
the world.

I know I've played a lot with the idea to restrict this freedom. My Moten,
for instance, only allows genitive phrases to complete other nouns. Its
solution to get other types of phrases to complete nouns isn't relative
clauses, but *surd├ęclinaison*, i.e. the fully inflected form is inflected
again in the genitive case to allow it to complete a noun (I copied this
from Basque :) ). In Maggel, attributive prepositional phrases are formed
differently from predicative prepositional phrases, and a noun with an
attributive prepositional phrase must be in the construct state.

What do you all do in your conlangs?
--
Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets.

http://www.christophoronomicon.nl/