Shameless plug for a self-publishing company operated by a friend of a friend.

http://www.writelife.com

It's a for-profit company that fronts the setup cost to turn your work into a sellable book (including the registration with an ISBN number, and in booksellers' databases.)  It's somewhere about halfway along the spectrum between "conventional" publishing houses on the one hand, and purely "print-on-demand" services like Lulu.com.

In other words, they'll take a lot of stuff that conventional publishers won't, but only if they think they can sell it.  But for the sake of personal acquaintances, I thought I'd throw it out there.

:Chris

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/177141665/direct/01/