On Nov 29, 2009, at 2:27 PM, Rebecca Bettencourt wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 11:23 PM, Eric Christopherson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> I'm trying out Ukelele now too. One thing I noticed is that it's possible to use the command key for different characters. But since the command key is normally used only for keyboard shortcuts, how do you use it as a character modifier?
>
> You can't really, because most applications reserve the command key
> for keyboard shortcuts only. You can change, say, what is normally
> Command-T to Command-M, for example, but you can't input characters
> with it.

I just found a way. In System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard > Modifier Keys, you can map the command key to do nothing. That allows you to use it as a character modifier. Otherwise, even if the app and the OS don't have any shortcut bound to a given command+key combination, the computer will just make a noise and ignore you.