Carsten Becker wrote:
> 2009/12/6 David McCann <[log in to unmask]>:
>
>> I think it's a pity you recommend XSAMPA, but that's just a pet gripe of
>> mine: I don't see why I should have to learn an obsolete system because
>> a couple of people are still messing around with Windows 98 or whatever!
>
> Tell that to the many people here and on the ZBB who still use *-SAMPA
> for practicability's sake. Not everyone has configured their computer
> so they can switch between keyboard layouts easily.

Right!

> That reminds me, how do I set up an IPA keyboard layout on my Ubuntu?
> Also, are there any predefined IPA keyboard layouts *for German
> keyboards* (You know, qwertz and with all the punctuation in different
> places) for both Linux and Windows? Stuff like that should be included
> in the Conlang-FAQ I think... (If it's not already included). I could
> google and find out myself, but asking real people is much more
> convenient, especially with a knowledgeable bunch of people like
> you.PL around ;-)

I haven't gotten around to making one for OSX yet but plan on it
very soon though Ukelele isn't quite as easy to work with as MSKLC
however worth it because it seems to be more flexible.  Someone here
(I don't remember right now) recently posted a link to one of their
own creations for IPA so take a quick peek at the recent archives.
I think I have a copy in my DL folder if you can't find it.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong here but I believe the XML files
from Ukelele should be portable to other flavors of Unix/Linux.