For those interested, this paper is freely available on the internet here:

http://works.bepress.com/john_j_mccarthy/16/

On Dec 2, 2009, at 1◊58 PM, Dirk Elzinga wrote:

> You should look at:
>
> McCarthy, John and Alan Prince. 1990. Foot and Word in Prosodic Morphology:
> The Arabic Broken Plural. Natural Language and Linguistic Theory 8: 209-283.
>
> They cite
>
> Wright, W. 1971 (reprint). A Grammar of the Arabic Language. Cambridge
> University Press.
>
> as the source of their data. They also reproduce Wright's broken plural
> taxonomy, but reorganize it for their own purposes.
>
> The whole paper is worth reading, even if you don't agree with their
> approach.
>
> On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 1:46 AM, David Peterson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> On Dec 1, 2009, at 5◊43 PM, Harry Aspinwall wrote:
>>
>>> Here are al-awzaan of verbs as I understand them (in past tense third
>>> singular masculine form, as in the grammars):
>>>
>>> 1. fa3ala/fa3ula/fa3ila - basic form
>>> 2. fa33ala - causative or intensive
>>> 3. faa3ala - associative, doing something with another person
>>> 4. 'af3ala - causative or intensive (often with an animate or
>>> conceptual object, I think)
>>> 5. tafa33ala - mostly reflexive of 2 or intensive of 1
>>> 6. tafaa3ala - reciprocal
>>> 7. infa3ala - reflexive or passive of 1 (sort of middle voice)
>>> 8. ifta3ala - many meanings, including reflexive and reflexive-beneficial
>>> 9. if3alla - defective verbs (rare - generally referring to a colour)

-David

-Jim Morrison

http://dedalvs.com/

LCS Member Since 2007