2009/12/6 <deinx nxtxr> <[log in to unmask]>

> Carsten Becker wrote:
>
>> 2009/12/6 David McCann <[log in to unmask]>:
>>
>>  I think it's a pity you recommend XSAMPA, but that's just a pet gripe of
>>> mine: I don't see why I should have to learn an obsolete system because
>>> a couple of people are still messing around with Windows 98 or whatever!
>>>

>> Tell that to the many people here and on the ZBB who still use *-SAMPA
>> for practicability's sake. Not everyone has configured their computer
>> so they can switch between keyboard layouts easily.
>>

> Right!
>

>  That reminds me, how do I set up an IPA keyboard layout on my Ubuntu?
>> Also, are there any predefined IPA keyboard layouts *for German
>> keyboards* (You know, qwertz and with all the punctuation in different
>> places) for both Linux and Windows? Stuff like that should be included
>> in the Conlang-FAQ I think... (If it's not already included). I could
>> google and find out myself, but asking real people is much more
>> convenient, especially with a knowledgeable bunch of people like
>> you.PL around ;-)
>>

> I haven't gotten around to making one for OSX yet but plan on it very soon
> though Ukelele isn't quite as easy to work with as MSKLC however worth it
> because it seems to be more flexible.  Someone here (I don't remember right
> now) recently posted a link to one of their own creations for IPA so take a
> quick peek at the recent archives. I think I have a copy in my DL folder if
> you can't find it.
>
> Someone can correct me if I'm wrong here but I believe the XML files from
> Ukelele should be portable to other flavors of Unix/Linux.

As noted before, this is not possible. What I do on Linux is different from
making an IPA keyboard, and has many advantages in my humble opinion.
Basically, I've installed the UIM input method system. It's very
lightweight, compared to its more commonly used cousin SCIM, and it has a
wide library of input methods, including an IPA input method that allows you
to input X-SAMPA and get IPA on the fly. I find it a better solution than
using an IPA keyboard because it's compatible with any keyboard layout you
use (so you don't have to worry if you use a QWERTZ keyboard), and you don't
need to learn by heart which key corresponds with which IPA character (note
everyone can afford the Optimus Maximus!
http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus/). Just keep whatever keyboard
you use normally, and switch UIM on and off as needed.
It also neatly solves the whole "I use X-SAMPA instead of IPA because of
practicality issues" argument: you can just carry on typing X-SAMPA, but you
get IPA as a result. Win-win!
And it's available in the Ubuntu repositories, so installing it is a breeze
(and it's desktop environment agnostic. It even works with simple window
managers).
Of course, it requires you to use true X-SAMPA, not the CXS variant commonly
used here. It can be annoying after you've been used to type /&/ for /æ/
(X-SAMPA /{/) for so long, but you get used to it quickly.
--
Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets.

http://www.christophoronomicon.nl/