For a language that is known for having a "phonetic" spelling, phonetics is really not the Esperantists' strong suit.  None of the explanations proffered so far have helped me understand how TUJ should be pronounced.

So I have an idea to settle this once and for all.  Among the Espist ranks there is one person whose strong suit IS phonetics, namely Prof. John Wells.  A few years ago when I had a disagreement with Don Harlow (we did have a few) over a pronunciation in GenAm, Don was able to refer it to Prof. Wells and, as it happened, he agreed with me (which is by the by - it's all in the archives).

Now, is there anyone here who could ask Prof. Wells for a proper phonetic explanation of TUJ ?  I would like to know:

- How should an English speaker pronounce it (in proper phonetic terms)
- Is it a true diphthong or three separate phonemes strung together?
- How then is TUJAJ to be pronouned?
- And while we are about it, TUJMESAG^ILO ?

It would be great to get Prof. Wells' view on this.