steve rice wrote:
> --- On Sun, 12/13/09, <deinx nxtxr> <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
>
>> I don't know of any anglophone using [y] to pronounce any
>> foreign word.  Most will pronounce this [ju] or maybe just [u].
>> The only case of [x] I know of is some people, usually in a
>> snobbish manner, pronouncing "Bach" [bAx] instead of the usual
>> anglicization [bAk].
>
> Excluding myself, I know of people who pronounce "déjà vu"
> correctly. They're usually people who know French and feel stupid
> saying "déjà vous."

Those that know are the exception, most don't know enough French to
know how <u> should be pronounced and being a non-English phoneme
will not easily produce it anyway.  [x] on the other hand is easy to
learn even one doesn't know it but still I can recall only rarely
hearing it, and usually on television.

> In any case, excluding (especially Asian) names, ux just isn't
> used as a consonant these days, so far as I can tell. "Uxato" and
> kin aren't productive, so I would disregard them.

They are in my dictionary so I don't disregard them.