--- On Fri, 12/25/09, <deinx nxtxr> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> steve rice wrote:
> > --- On Thu, 12/24/09, <deinx nxtxr> <[log in to unmask]>

> >> equivalents for the sets are
> >>
> >> Here's Ingli, but I'm still undecided on a
> couple.
> >>
> >> a  LOT (stop, rob, swan) o  CLOTH
> (cough, long, gone) a
> >> THOUGHT (taut, hawk, broad)
> >
> > This is why I level all three to o: a fair number of
> dialects
> > don't make these distinctions to begin with, so I
> might as well
> > merge them. Leveling to a would make more sense in
> some ways, but
> > <a> is already overloaded, and it would increase
> homophones.
>
> I know <a> got a lot which is why I considered making
> English long-A and short-A both into <e> though I kept
> <a> for the short.

I considered that too, and I'm still not quite convinced I'm right. That's one of the places I mentioned where I could unload <a> a bit.

I also thought about
> <o> for short-U because I see it rendered that way in
> Spanish loanwords but the English creoles favor <a> so
> that's the direction I went.

Bislama has <o>. It probably depends on the dialect of English involved. In any case, the sound in English is usually represented as <o>.

> Sometimes I think it would be better to go with the vowels
> from Scottish English.

Hoots mon!

Steve