2009/12/22 Daniel Demski <[log in to unmask]>

> 2009/12/21 Steven Lytle <[log in to unmask]>:
> >  I think "I didn't like the food" is the normal way of saying "I disliked
> > the food", and doesn't have any implication of neutrality, which would
> have
> > to be mentioned specifically, e.g., "No, but I didn't dislike it either".
> > OTOH, if someone asks "Did you love him?" and the answer is no, then
> there
> > is no expectation that the person asked hated him, there just wasn't any
> > love.
>
> On the OTHER hand, different uses of 'love' aren't like this. If
> someone asked me whether I loved their new jacket, or even a
> particular TV show perhaps, and I said no, that would probably be
> interpreted as a non-neutral position.

Yes, there are many types of negation, as indicated earlier in this thread,
and English negation is just ambiguous, allowing different interpretations
depending on culture, context and the negated verb.

To bring this back to conlanging terrain, do you all's languages have
different types of negations to disambiguate cases that are ambiguous in
English? (yes, I know about Lojban, but I'm interested to know how people do
it in artlangs) Or do you keep the same ambiguity as in English? And
actually, is it known whether other natlangs work differently in terms of
negation, or do they all keep the same ambiguity as in English?

I find this question interesting because since I've been working again on
Moten to describe it for my blog, I've discovered that negation in the
language might not work exactly as I thought it did, although I'm not yet
sure how to explain it (it seems as if it treats contradictory negation and
scalar negation differently, but I'm not completely sure how yet).
--
Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets.

http://www.christophoronomicon.nl/