2009/12/28 Gary Shannon <[log in to unmask]>:

> To what extent have past "secret societies" used their own secret
> language? Are there any historical precedents for such a phenomenon? I
> know cults often use their own buzz words and code phrases, but have
> any actually devised languages that we know of?

Cults create substantial amounts of language.  The trick is, they
don't admit to you that you're learning a new language.  Instead they
spoon feed new terms to you, slowly transforming your lexicon until
it's largely unrecognizable.  That you think you're still speaking the
same language is part of how they drive a wedge between you and the
rest of society.  You speak what you still think of as your mother
tongue, but your own mother no longer understands you-- which of
course they'll tell you is because of her spiritual ignorance.

While the transformation of the lexicon is often surprisingly
complete, including new words (with new, devious connotations) for
even such basic things as "good" or "happy" or "person", in the cult
dialects I'm familiar with there is little to no grammatical
transformation, just the sort of tinkering at the edges you see in any
slang dialect.  I'm not sure if that's because grammar changes would
be jarring enough to wake a sheep, or just because they're not as
useful/necessary for changing someone's pattern of thought, what do
y'all think?

<3,
la stela selckiku
aka