> It struck me this morning that "than", even in its simplest form, is a
> rather odd word.
> 1 introducing the second element in a comparison : [as prep. ] he was
> much smaller than his son | [as conj. ] Jack doesn't know any more
> than I do.
> 2 used in expressions introducing an exception or contrast : [as prep.
> ] he claims not to own anything other than his home | [as conj. ] they
> observe rather than act.
> 3 [ conj. ] used in expressions indicating one thing happening
> immediately after another : scarcely was the work completed than it
> was abandoned.
>
> Apparently it was originally the same word as "then" which seems far
> less strange to me.
>
> At its core it's a simple tool for comparing or contrasting two things
> that, I suspect, has acquired some complex in its usage over time. I
> was wondering if a word for contrasting or comparing two concepts is a
> fairly common thing in natural languages, and what alternate means are
> used to address this need. I'm also curious as to how you've addressed
> it in your conlangs.
>
> -Kate

In Rejistanian, the three usages are in this manner:

1)
Mesi mi'salan alsina Kansu
Mesi 3S-is_big RELCMP Kansu.
Mesi is bigger than Kansu (but both are not actually big)
(Yes, I wanted to flaunt one of the relative comparisons)

2)
Xen'ma'ta 'xjiti ulu hadada'tan'xen'ta.
1PL-be_able-not (INF)lose something understanding-C2-GEN1PL-NEG.
We have nothing to lose but our minds.

3)
Xe'la'visko elu'het kansa ji xe'la'hesne, xe'la'sitadi lajitax.
1S-PST-say name-C1 divine and 1S-PST-bear, 1S-PST-accept later(PST).
I cursed and beared it, then I accepted it.

(Yes, saying the name of the gods is a euphemism for cursing)

Hope this helps.

--
Sanja'xen mi'lanja'kynha ,mi'la'ohix jilih, nka.

My life would be easy if it was not so hard!