<deinx nxtxr> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I'm willing to bet the fanbase that's taking an interest in Na'vi are
> linguageeks or at least wannabes so having access to diacritics on their
> keyboard is probably not a big issue.

I discovered on my recent IRC visit that many have problems with the
diacritics, some paste the characters from a text editor, some switch
to all kinds of keyboards (the Swiss keyboard will work fine from what
I heard, and I guess the Spanish one will too), some assigned system
wide macros more or less successfully, but there was a general desire
to get the writing right -- whereas I would have lazily devised some
ASCII transliteration. The lesson learned is that while esperantists
whine about the hats, Na'vi learners are all too happy with the funny
characters because they take the language as something external to
themselves, not as something everybody can reform to suit their
preferences. Granted, we're not in an auxlang setting, still it leaves
me thinking about motivations. More than once I've considered creating
a story background just for an auxlang...